The 5-year-old orphaned Israeli boy who was the sole survivor of a cable car crash in northern Italy has started asking questions about his parents, Hebrew media reported on Friday.
The Ynet news site, citing Italian newspaper La Stampa, said Eitan Biran had so far only been told of his sleep for several days.
Biran’s aunt, a doctor living in Italy, was reportedly at his bedside when he returned after being seriously injured in the crash. His grandmother is now also with him in the hospital, Channel 12 reported.
Biran suffered several fractures during the disaster, although doctors determined there was no neurological damage. He was gradually removed from the sedation as his condition improved. A hospital spokesperson said earlier this week that the child was apparently saved by the embrace of his father, who died when the cabin crashed to the ground.
Hebrew media reported that a local psychiatrist had been appointed to help break the news to the child of the loss of his parents, younger brother and great-grandparents.
Receive the daily edition of The Times of Israel by email and never miss our best articles Sign up for free
The boy’s parents, Amit Biran, 30, his wife Tal Peleg-Biran, 26, and their 2-year-old son, Tom Biran, who lived in northern Italy, and Peleg-Biran’s grandparents , Barbara and Yitzhak Cohen, from Tel Aviv, 71 and 81 years old. , have all now been buried in Israel.
The mayor of the town where the cable car started told the London Times on Saturday that three Italian families had offered to adopt Eitan, who was raised in Italy by his Israeli parents.
“I have been called by three families ready to adopt him, including one from Sicily,” said Marcella Severino, mayor of the city of Stresa. “Fortunately, Eitan has aunts, uncles and a family who will support him and help him overcome this pain, but these offers make us realize that there is still a lot of humanity in this world.”
The newspaper also said Italian Jewish organizations raised around $ 50,000 for the boy. In addition, the silver prize of the 19th stage of the Giro d’Italia cycling race on Friday will be given to the victims of the cable car accident on Mount Mottarone which claimed 14 lives, announced the Association of Professional Cyclists. (CPA).
Italian prosecutors suspect numerous workers at a site in northern Italy where a cable car crashed on Sunday, killing all 15 people on board except one, knew the emergency brake had been deactivated but was not working to resolve the issue or speak up, local reports said Friday.
Authorities believe the brake may have been deactivated several times over the years to avoid disrupting operations, according to reports in Italian newspapers La Stampa and Today.
New arrests could take place soon. So far, three men have been arrested following the incident and admitted to disabling the cable car’s emergency braking system after repeated problems with the braking device, instead of fixing it, out of apparent desire avoid the economic consequences of a long shutdown for repairs. .
Italian investigators were also to inspect the cable that was attached to the cabin. Reports indicate that a theory under investigation is that the cable broke due to the brake system being deactivated.
According to Italian media, one of the three arrested men, the director of the service Gabriele Tadini, told investigators: “It’s my fault… I feel a heavy burden on my conscience. I pray and take care of myself. I will count with God.
Although repentant, Tadini reportedly insisted that the cable car operators did not believe an accident was possible.
The cable “was in good condition, it showed no signs of wear. What happened is an accident that doesn’t even happen once in a million, ”he said.
Agencies contributed to this report.